– WuXi Biologics has aligned its ESG strategy with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), as well as the interests of its stakeholders in sustainable business performance.
– An example of WuXi Biologics’ contribution to society is its rapid and robust response to the pandemic – enabling nearly 30 Investigational New Drug (IND) applications for COVID-19 projects, manufacturing over 1500 kg of neutralizing antibodies COVID-19 and providing hundreds of millions of doses of COVID-19 vaccine.
– WuXi Biologics has set medium and long-term goals to reduce Scope 1 and Scope 2 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions intensity by 50% by 2030 compared to 2020, and achieve an 18% reduction in water use intensity by 2025 compared to 2019. The company exceeded its 2021 targets, reducing GHG emissions intensity by 8% and water consumption intensity of 13%.
– A culture of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) is cultivated and well managed at WuXi Biologics. The number of employees in China, Ireland, United States, Germany and Singapore exceeded 10,000, more than 53% of whom are women.
– As part of global Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), WuXi Biologics encourages its employees to contribute to the well-being of their communities around the world. In 2021, 798 employee volunteers from nine cities in four countries – mobilized by the “PROD” culture – provided a total of 3,192 hours of service to their local communities.
– WuXi Biologics response to the July 2021 The Henan floods included an immediate effect 10 million yuan donation for disaster relief by the WuXi Biologics Charity Foundation, programs to subsidize reconstruction efforts, and corporate financial support for affected employees.
– WuXi Biologics is committed to building a sustainable supply chain and leveraging a “multi-sourcing and safety stock” approach to mitigate potential risks of supply chain disruptions, enabling the company to ensure the delivery of high quality products and services to customers.
– WuXi Biologics’ efforts have been widely recognized by rating agencies, including being named by Sustainalytics as an “ESG Industry Top-Rated Company” for its comprehensive compliance management.
HONG KONG, April 27, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — WuXi Biologics (“WuXi Bio”) (2269.HK), a global contract research, development and manufacturing organization (CRDMO) services company, has released its 2021 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Report. It comprehensively presents what the company has achieved in greening development, empowering customers, giving back to society and responsible governance over the past year.
In 2021, WuXi Biologics established a CEO-led ESG committee at the board level. The company has also set up an ESG steering group and an ESG department. WuXi Biologics aligns its goals with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and has strengthened its ESG strategy accordingly. Throughout the year, the company’s ESG governance structure was continuously optimized to ensure that the concept of sustainability remains embedded in the company’s strategy and provides an overarching context for its day-to-day operations, creating a maximum benefits for society and the environment.
Greening of development
To actively fight against climate change, WuXi Biologics has set a target for reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and water consumption in the medium and long term: to reduce its emissions intensity ratio Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHGs by 50% by 2030 relative to 2020, and reduce water use intensity by 18% by 2025 relative to the 2019 baseline. independent and accredited professional agency in 2021 – based on ISO 14064 – confirmed an 8% year-over-year decrease in GHG emissions intensity.
In addition, WuXi Biologics’ large-scale adoption of environmentally friendly single-use technology saves approximately 70% water and 30% energy compared to traditional stainless steel technology. The application of single-use technology has also reduced water consumption intensity by 13% per year and improved energy efficiency for three consecutive years.
Share on sustainability efforts for green manufacturing, organics facilities in Dundalk, Ireland is designed to save energy, reduce emissions and recycle resources. Scheduled to be operational soon, the site has fully applied WuXi Biologic’s “Factory of the Future” principles. In China sites, energy efficiency is improved through a series of energy saving initiatives and green development concepts, including the reuse of steam condensate.
Leveraging its expertise and supporting global efforts against the COVID-19 pandemic is one of the most important ways WuXi Biologics gives back to society. By the end of 2021, the company had activated nearly 30 COVID-19 Investigational New Drug (IND) applications for its customers, delivered more than 1,500 kg of COVID-19 neutralizing antibodies, and produced hundreds of millions of doses of COVID-19 vaccine, greatly contribute to global public health.
Behind these exceptional milestones lie innovation as the company’s driving force and quality as a trademark. Several innovative technology platforms represent WuXi Biologics’ efforts to provide more efficient and cost-effective processes to global customers, resulting in more affordable and accessible biologics that can be brought to market faster. And the successful completion of 22 inspections by global pharmaceutical regulatory agencies and more than 180 customer GMP audits demonstrates WuXi Biologics’ unwavering commitment to maintaining the highest global quality standards for customers, patients and society in his outfit.
Give back to society
All steps and achievements of the company are inextricably linked to the expertise and dedication of WuXi Biologics staff. The company is committed to the well-being of all employees and to a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). WuXi Biologics now has over 10,000 employees in China, Ireland, United States, Germany and Singapore, of which more than 53% are women. With a focus on workplace safety, the company conducted over 100 safety and health training sessions in 2021, totaling over 50,000 hours of training and covering all employees and contractors.
WuXi Biologics has always practiced social responsibility and encouraged employees to give back to their communities. In 2021, 798 employees from nine cities in four countries contributed a total of 3,192 hours to volunteer initiatives, spanning public health, environmental protection and youth education. WuXi Biologics’ response to the July 2021 The Henan floods included an immediate effect 10 million yuan donation for disaster relief by the WuXi Biologics Charity Foundation, programs to subsidize reconstruction efforts, and corporate financial support for affected employees.
Compliance is the cornerstone of WuXi Biologics’ business and the key to sustainability. The company is guided by shared values of integrity and has zero tolerance for violations of business ethics. In 2021, all staff completed compliance training, with a 100% attendance and pass rate. The focus is on information security and the protection of intellectual property, and the measures put in place in these areas have enabled the company to obtain ISO 27001 certification at two of its sites in 2021. The company’s animal facilities achieved accreditation from the International Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC) in 2021 as well.
As part of its commitment to maintaining a sustainable supply chain, WuXi Biologics works with suppliers who are socially and environmentally responsible, and who share its high standards, as stated in its Code of Conduct for Business Partners. Additionally, as the pandemic circumstances continue to impact many people around the world, the company’s “Multi-Sourcing and Safety Stock” approach enables it to mitigate any potential risk of supply chain disruptions. procurement and ensures that the company can deliver quality products and accelerate project timelines to meet customer needs.
WuXi Biologics has been well recognized for its excellent ESG performance by international agencies. The company has been assessed as “low risk” and recognized as “highest rated company in the ESG industry” by Sustainalytics, received an “A” ESG rating from Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI) ESG rating and has was cited for “Best ESG” by Institutional investor.
dr. Chris ChenCEO of WuXi Biologics and Chairman of the ESG Committeecommented, “Since its inception, WuXi Biologics has been committed to creating greater value for customers, employees, investors, as well as the community at large, while adhering to the principles of sustainable development. With our ESG strategies in place, we look forward to refining our corporate governance, improving our green operations and actively fulfilling our social responsibilities. As a trusted partner, catalyst for innovation and contributor to the healthcare industry, we will continue to accelerate and transform the discovery, development and manufacturing of biologics through one-access platform, empowering our global partners and benefiting patients around the world.”
To view the full report, visit: https://www.wuxibiologics.com/wp-content/uploads/2021-ESG-Report.pdf
About WuXi Biologics
WuXi Biologics (stock code: 2269.HK) is a global contract research, development and manufacturing organization (CRDMO) providing end-to-end solutions that enable partners to discover, develop and manufacture biologics – from concept to commercialization – benefiting patients around the world.
With over 10,000 skilled employees in China, United States, Ireland, Germany and Singapore, WuXi Biologics leverages its technologies and expertise to provide its customers with efficient and cost-effective biologics discovery, development and manufacturing solutions. As of the end of 2021, WuXi Biologics is supporting over 480 integrated customer projects, including nine in commercial manufacturing.
WuXi Biologics views environmental, social and governance (ESG) responsibilities as an integral part of our business philosophy and strategy, and we aim to become an ESG leader in the CRDMO biologics industry. Our facilities use next-generation biomanufacturing technologies and clean energy sources. We have also set up an ESG Committee led by our CEO to drive the overall ESG strategy and its implementation, reinforcing our commitment to sustainability. For more information about WuXi Biologics, please visit: www.wuxibiologics.com.
SOURCE WuXi Biologics